View Single Post
Old 28-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #32
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L
I'm so happy this thread has been started. Kudos to you Rob . Although I'm only 22, I have very quickly come to enjoy beer genuinely. I used to drink it just to drink, but once driving cam on the scene, I had to learn to drink responsibly, what better way than to lower the quantity of beer and at the same time up the quality.

I won't bother commenting on beers such as Corona, Heineken, Becks and the such, a touch to mainstream and not very consistent. Especially considering not many bottle shops happen to know whether they're coming or going when it comes to whether they have imported or locally brewed versions in stock. I certainly won't bother commenting on Aussie beer, as I believe Aussie beers are best enjoyed super cold after a super hard day.

I have found Celebrations to be pretty good in regards to stocking a good variety of imports.

So here's a couple I can remember off the top of my head.

Beer: Satan Gold
Country of Origin: Belgium
Price: $6.66 per bottle ($16.66 3pk)
Description: An 8% beer that seems more hell bent (no pun intended) on getting the consumer smashed than making a good flavoured beer. I bought a 3pk and one and a half. The bottle does need to be inverted once or twice to get it mixed nicely as the yeast remnants seem to settle in the bottom. A very potent flavour of alcohol, somewhat smooth, moderate fizz but not a strong beer taste. There are stronger versions of Satan beer, all the same price, but I'm not game to try.
Rating: 4/10

Beer: Leffe Brune (as Rob mentioned in the first post)
Country of Origin: Belgium
Price: $30 6pk (approx.)
Description: As per Rob, by far the best beer I have ever had. Although somewhat potent, especially for being 6.5%, the taste is sensational. Not extremely high on fizz. Not too yeasty, a little bit fruitful in taste. Doesn't taste watered down at all. It even can have a slightly buttery aftertaste.
Rating: 9//10

Beer: Schofferhofer Hefeweizen
Country of Origin: Germany
Price: $24 6pk (approx.)
Description: I was walking through Aldi one day and spotted this one. I though what the hell, why not. After cracking one, I found out why the hell not! Talk about drinking bread. Comes in 500ml bottles. Is pretty much a German beer on budget. Has a slight lemon tang to it, but is extremely yeasty. It is a cloudy beer... another one that needs the bottle to be inverted a few times to get it mixed thoroughly.
Rating: 5/10

So there we have it. I'm the sort of person that enjoys beer like a wine-o enjoys wine. I have tried to develope a recognitive pellet for wine, but they honestly don't taste much different to me. Just sweet/dry, white/red and the such. But when it comes to beer, I really can taste the difference, even between local and imported beers of the same name.

Happy beering all.

Josh.

Beer: Schofferhofer Hefeweizen
Country of Origin: Germany
Price: $24 6pk (approx.)
Description: I was walking through Aldi one day and spotted this one. I though what the hell, why not. After cracking one, I found out why the hell not! Talk about drinking bread. Comes in 500ml bottles. Is pretty much a German beer on budget. Has a slight lemon tang to it, but is extremely yeasty. It is a cloudy beer... another one that needs the bottle to be inverted a few times to get it mixed thoroughly.
Rating: 5/10

Extremely nice beer, wheat beer if my memory serves me correctly.

C